Two Brixton Winners in Time Out’s Food & Drinks 2012 Awards
While the prestigious ‘Best New Restaurant’ title went to The Delaunay, foodies South of the river had cause to celebrate, especially those living in the Brixton and Streatham area.
From Time Out’s Eating & Drinking 2012 Awards, two winners this year hailed from Brixton. Boqueria Tapas won the Best New Cheap Eat award from Time Out, and the Crown & Anchor pub won the Best New Beer Bar award.
For years Brixton was the deadbeat of the foodie world in London, with only chicken shops punctuated with the occassional kebab joint. But nowadays, with the thriving Brixton Market, there’s no shortage of good food and drink places in SW2.
I’m hoping that this trend continues down Brixton Hill into the Streatham proper area. Already, we have the excellent Manor Arms and Perfect Blend – and I’m sure more great restaurants and bars will soon be opening along the Streatham High Road after the sprucing up by Lambeth Council.
Other restaurants who won an award in the Time Out Eating & Drinking Awards this year include:
- Best New Cheap Eats – Boqueria Tapas, Brixton, SW2
- Best New Design – Mari Vanna, Knightsbridge, SW1X
- Best New Local Restaurant – Abbeville Kitchen, Clapham, SW4
- Best New No Bookings Restaurant – 10 Greek Street, Soho, W1D
- Best New Meat Restaurant – Tramshed, Shoreditch, EC2A
- Best New Latin American Restaurant – Lima London, Fitzrovia, W1T
- Best New Beer Bar – Crown & Anchor, Brixton, SW9